Friday, June 12, 2015

A moment in the mania


Hi there and welcome to another moment of the mania! I'm Ann Shannon, the manic writer. I blog about PTSD, encouragement and write book reviews and romantic fiction. My passion is the military, soldiers, and veterans, especially those with PTSD. I love that you stopped by, grab a drink and make yourself at home. Leave a comment or find me on social media, I'd love to meet you and get to know you.

It’s been another busy week, although not as busy as last week. I am trying to dedicate 40 hours a week to blogging and writing and, it seems, the world is trying to prevent that. I haven’t traveled this week, which was nice. I am very much a homebody and like to be there. I have been busy with family obligations though and it’s kept me from my computer.

If you follow me then you know that I have kept up with my blogging schedule, I am committed to that, I want to make a difference. I added the Youtube Tuesday to the schedule this week, but I’m not sure how I feel about it. It seems a bit too lighthearted to me and I am still considering whether or not I want to include it in my regular schedule.



I have also been writing, and revising, but not as much as I’d like to be. For my JunoWriMo goal, I have written just over 15K words which is not enough for it being almost halfway through June. If I am going to achieve my 50K goal in the next 18 days then I need to step up my game.

I have been working on the anthology, but it’s going slower than I expected. I am also working on revising Catch a Falling Star and have come to the conclusion that it needs a heavy revision to make it worthy of publication. I will start on that today or tomorrow. It’s a great story, but I see plot and point of view errors in it that I want to fix. When I fix the first chapter I will be updating it on FictionPress, removing the rest of the story and also posting the first chapter here.

Here is an excerpt from the first short story in the anthology- it is unedited and unrevised.

“Hello, I’m Chelsea Price. I guess we’re table-mates tonight.” She smiled as the men at her table rose to welcome her. 
Louise looked at her from under the weight of her heavy eyelids, painted with blue eyeshadow as if it would hide their weight. Her smile didn’t leave her mouth as she spoke, perhaps her eyes couldn’t smile with all the added weight. “Hello Mrs. Price. I’m Louise Olmstead, you can call me Louise.”  
“Nice to meet you Louise, thank you.” 
Louise’s husband who was still standing waiting for Chelsea to seat herself smiled broadly. He was tall and thin where Louise was not. “Mrs. Price, I’ve heard so much about you but never had the pleasure of meeting you. The rumors are true, you are a lovely young lady.” 
Chelsea’s face warmed at his compliment, Jack Olmstead career in finance had been very lucrative and his specialty must have been customer service. “Thank you Mr Olmstead. I’ve heard a lot about you as well. Thank you for the compliment.” 
Louise looked at her husband as if he had cavorted with the enemy for a moment. “Chelsea, may I call you that?” She didn’t wait for the affirmative nod. “I heard you recently had your youngest graduate college. It must be a relief to have them all taken care of now.” 
Chelsea flexed her back imperceptibly but kept her face still. It would seem Mrs Olmstead wanted the fine specimen of a man sitting beside the seat she was about to take to think that she was old enough to be his mother. She brushed it off, she wasn’t here to flirt, she was here to fund raise and with that in mind she turned to him and held out her hand. “I’m Chelsea Price.”


One final task I’ve been working on is my new domain. I’ve purchased my own piece of the web and I’m working on building my new blog there. You can check out the beginning of it by clicking here, the main domain is a shared site, my daughters also intend to have author platforms at some point in the future and we wanted to work together. My actual blog site will be a subdomain of that one.



I have also signed up for the July CampNanoWriMo. I was on the fence about doing it, but my friend asked me if I was joining and I jumped in with her feet first. Why not?

I guess that’s all the news this week. Nothing really exciting to tell. I was a JunoWriMo featured author this week and you can check it out here. Have a great week!

It is my goal to end the stigma that comes with PTSD. I blog about PTSD once a week, searching the mountains of information out there and bringing you the best of what I find. I review a book on PTSD every other week and I publish a weekly encouraging reflection and tweet encouraging quotes for PTSD survivors daily, follow me to be encouraged. Together we can make a difference.

When I'm not blogging about PTSD or trying to encourage those of you living with it. I'm an author. I write romance. I just finished my first book and I am revising and editing it. With any luck, it will be published later this year, in the meantime you can get a sample of my work on the web. Original work can be found here, and fanfiction can be found here. Let me know what you think, and tell me how you found me!

I usually blog about PTSD and if you come here for that don't be discouraged by the different topic, this is what I do when I'm not talking about the subject that fills every corner of my life. I will be continuing to blog even while I write. It helps, a lot, to have something that I love to do and for me that's writing love stories! Even my husband gets in on the action, discussing books ideas, plots, and characters with me for hours. My work is available for free right now, just check out my links to the right. And make sure you make time for fun too!

No comments:

Post a Comment