Thursday, June 4, 2015




Hi there and welcome to another moment of the mania! I'm Ann Shannon, the manic writer. I blog about PTSD, encouragement, and write book reviews and romantic fiction. My passion is the military, soldiers, and veterans, especially those with PTSD and ending the stigma that comes with it. I love that you stopped by, grab a drink and make yourself at home. Leave a comment or find me on social media, I'd love to meet you and get to know you.

This week-I am reviewing Why Are You So Scared by Beth Andrews.





Beth Andrews wrote her book to help the children of those dealing with PTSD. It offers a definition that even a very young child will understand, breaking down the condition into parts so that the parent can choose what to share and what not to share. Beth uses simple, easy to understand language in her explanations and suggestions. She offers reassurance that the child is not to blame and suggestions that can help the child reach out to their parent without putting undue stress on the child to do so. There are several opportunities within the book for interaction between with the information in the form of suggested drawings and conversation starters.

I liked Beth Andrews book. She writes to the general PTSD population, military and civilian alike. It is directed to fairly young children but that makes it appealing since the youngest children living with PTSD may need the most help understanding it. She reassures her reader that they are not at fault, their parents still love them and there is help available. She briefly discusses why someone gets PTSD and suggests that the child ask but quickly reminds them that their parent may not be able to talk about it. I personally loved the interactive pages where the child being read to was directed to draw a picture and help them connect their feelings through art. Above all, she reminds the child that their parent loves them and the PTSD they are dealing with in no way reflects their feelings about their children, a very important reminder indeed.

I’d recommend this book for anyone who is dealing with PTSD and has a young child.

It is my goal to end the stigma that comes with PTSD. I blog about PTSD once a week, searching the mountains of information out there and bringing you the best of what I find. I review a book on PTSD every other week and I publish a weekly encouraging reflection and tweet encouraging quotes for PTSD survivors daily, follow me to be encouraged. Together we can make a difference.


When I'm not blogging about PTSD or trying to encourage those of you living with it. I'm an author. I write romance. I just finished my first book and I am revising and editing it. With any luck, it will be published later this year, in the meantime you can get a sample of my work on the web. Original work can be found here, and fanfiction can be found here. Let me know what you think, and tell me how you found me!

No comments:

Post a Comment